Tuesday, November 6, 2012



Rock N Roll Savannah Half Marathon

Saturday was the 2nd annual Savannah Rock N Roll marathon/half marathon. I ran the race last year, too, and I think it's my favorite race by far. It's a pretty flat and fast course and the crowd support is great!

We stayed in a different hotel this year and we really liked it. If you are interested in running this race next year, I'll give you the hotel info. It was about half a mile from the starting line and about a mile from the finish. The husband was quite happy with our location because he got to stay in bed while I got up early to head out and run. He and the monster slept until about 9:30 that morning! Slackers.

I worked Thursday night, got home Friday morning, finished packing, and left for Savannah. I dozed a bit in the car but didn't get much sleep. Once we got there, we checked into the hotel, changed, and left to head to the expo. Last year, the expo experience was a TRAIN WRECK, so we were hoping to beat out the crowds.

The problem with this expo is that there is no parking and you have to take a ferry across the river. Last year, we waited for over two hours to get on a ferry. This year, we were on a ferry within 36 minutes. Yes, I timed it. It was a pretty neat expo and I really liked how big the Brooks area was. I love Brooks' stuff and they were the ones who made the official race shirt, too. Winning. I would have loved to walk around and shop some more, but it is definitely not the husband's idea of a good time.

Here's the monster waiting on the ferry back across the river:



It was about 5 o'clock when we were done with the expo so we headed out in search of some carbs - aka the reason I run. We had gotten a recommendation from one of the dudes at the hotel and went to this local italian place. Turns out, you needed a reservation to sit inside, but the tables out on the sidewalk were free game. Thankfully, we snagged a table quickly (thanks to the girls who kept that grumpy dude from stealing our table) and engorged ourselves on carbs. I had this amazing grilled chicken, basil, and alfredo ziti dish. It was soooooo good. I think I gained about 5 lbs but that's ok.

I passed out at 7:30 that night. I can't remember a time in my adult life where I went to bed so early - but it was great. When my alarm went off at 5am - I was wide awake. I got up, went down to the lobby for breakfast (bagel with peanut butter and coffee). I appreciated that the coffee was on the house - they knew what was up and how to win a bunch of runners over!

It was about 48 degrees at the start of the race. I should have brought capris with me but I only had long pants with me - I was expecting it to be colder. I wore my new ProCompression pink compression socks, long black pants, a short sleeved Brooks tee, and a matching Skinny Band (my favorite - they have adorable patterns and they don't budge!). I made sure to bathe with anti-chafe goodness, too, and I came out unscathed.


Saturday, November 3:
13.2 miles (yes, I believe the course was mismeasured - because the Garmin said so), 2:11:57
New PR!!!






I was pretty stoked by my time in this race. I took 8 minutes off my time from last year, too!

I met a new pal in the start corral and ended up running and chatting with her for close to 10 miles. That was a serious blessing! She lives in Atlanta, so I hope I can meet up with her again for a run sometime. Running with a companion is so much better than running solo! Thanks, Diane!

After the race, I met up with the hubs and baby, and we ate lunch and headed back to the hotel. We got dressed and took the baby out to Tybee Island to show her the Atlantic Ocean. She had a great time and it was a fantastic way to get her to run off some energy.





We went to Lady and Sons for dinner that night - loved being able to refuel with Paula Dean's goodness. I also love that they take reservations now!

We got up Sunday and ate at a really good little breakfast place near the hotel. We got on the road and rushed home for the Living Christmas Tree practice.

Man, this was a great weekend. I love having such a great time with my family, getting to run with 17k of my closest friends, and eating amazing food! See you next year, Savannah!






No comments:

Post a Comment